Moreton Island Day Excursions for Schools
Don’t have time for a full Moreton Island School Camp but still want to get your students out of the classroom and into the environment for some real immersive study experiences?
Why not try one of our day excursion options for school groups? You simply can’t get a more diverse learning environment for a school camp near Brisbane than Moreton Island. Situated just 40km from Brisbane across Moreton Bay, Moreton Island is the least disturbed, large coastal sand island in South East Queensland and has a mixture of learning environments like no other.
We currently offer 2 standard day excursions, but if you have something else in mind, we would love to hear from you. Our standard day excursions include:
- Adventure Activities Day Tour
- Scenic Historical Day Tour
Click on the tour tabs for more information on which of these tours will meet your needs.
- Moreton Island
- Adventure Day Tour
- Scenic History Tour
- Booking terms
Moreton Island Day Excursions
Moreton Island is the third largest sand island in the WORLD and is Brisbane’s undisputed eco adventure playground! Where else can you take your students which:
- Is over 98% National Park
- Is an all sand island – the third largest in the world in fact
- Has unrivalled eco adventure activities like snorkelling sunken shipwrecks, illuminated night kayaking & desert sandboarding
- Is home to amazing wildlife like turtles, dolphins, whales & more
- Has unique World War 2 bunkers and memorabilia for students to visit
- Has the highest vegetated sand dune in the world
- Has Queensland’s oldest lighthouse
- Is perfect for a wide range of studies including geography, biology, sciences, marine studies, physical education, sustainability studies and more!
It’s not hard to see why schools and colleges come from all over Australia to see this fun filled adventure classroom!
So why choose Trailblazer Tours for your next school camp?
Trailblazer Tours is an eco-accredited tour company who have been providing quality school camps for many years and is backed by our sister company Australian Sunset Safaris. We boast:
- Free door to door service for schools within a 100km radius of Brisbane
- Door to door service for a small additional charge for schools up to 800km from Brisbane! (though if you’re school is 800km away we would recommend a multi-day tour)
- Professional and friendly guides complete with DA’s (medical and police checks required)
- The ability to cater for large schools 100+
- Custom built itineraries to suit your KLA’s – just tell us what you need
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coaches
- Risk assessments provided
If you’re looking to immerse your students in a learning environment full of natural experiences and adventure, then our Moreton Island Adventure Day Tour for schools is the choice for you! Students will be so immersed in what they’re doing, they won’t even realise how much they are learning! This tour includes:
- Pick up from and drop off to your school (if less than 100km from Brisbane)*
- Cruise across Moreton Bay on the majestic MICAT (café facilities on board)
- Picnic lunch on the beach and activities throughout the day as follows:
Guided Shipwreck Snorkelling
Enter an underwater adventure playground as you snorkel around 15 sunken shipwrecks. Thousands of tropical fish & corals can be seen and students will be immersed in this marine learning environment. This activity is fully guided with all safety instruction, equipment and risk assessments provided.
Experience this unique activity pioneered by Australian Sunset Safaris & Trailblazer Tours. Imagine silently kayaking around sunken shipwrecks in a see-through kayak, watching corals, fish, turtles & wobbegongs as you quietly paddle past. Turtles & fish commonly swim beneath the kayaks giving the students an insight into the world beneath without disturbing the marine life.
Sandboarding & Desert Discovery
Don’t tell the students, but the desert is a highly interesting ecological area filled with sandblows, fulgerite (lightning rock) and mineral sands. The students will be walked through the area and told how it was once covered with forest before the sand took hold. This is disguised learning at its best though as soon they will be zooming down the desert dunes reaching amazing speeds before climbing back
*minimum numbers apply for free inclusion
For more information please download our 1 day Adventure Tour Leaflet
Moreton Island is not only breathtakingly beautiful, but is full of significant historical events and nature experiences. This tour takes in all the key destinations on Moreton Island with a focus of commentary on historical events and locations. The tour includes:
- Pick up from your school (included for schools less than 100km from Brisbane).
- Cruise across Moreton Bay (café facilities on board)
- Join your private guide on a 4WD adventure across Middle Road – learn when and how it was created, and all about the flora and fauna you might see in the middle of the island.
- Take a look at the wild Eastern Beach and learn how World War 2 soldiers would have existed living at Rous Battery on the eastern side of the island. If time permits, students will be taken to either Rous Battery or Cowan Cowan to walk through the WW2 remains.
- Visit the first lighthouse built in Queensland, historic Cape Moreton Lighthouse. Students are able to walk through the visitor centre before walking up to take in the breathtaking view over the island. Whales (during season), turtles and dolphins can be spotted from the lookout.
- Have a yummy picnic lunch at North Point where the island was first created, learn about the only rock on Moreton Island and why it is so important.
- Take a refreshing dip in Blue Lagoon and learn why it is not always blue. Students will learn how this lovely freshwater lake was created.
- Learn about the native Ngugi people and how they lived on Moreton Island for over 2000 years before Europeans made their mark.
- Learn of the devastating impact of the Tangalooma whaling operation and why whale blubber was in such demand at the time.
Will you pick me up from school?
We offer free pick up’s for schools within 100km of Brisbane. For schools outside this radius we will quote for a pick up or you can organise your own transport. Pick up times may range from 6am – 7am depending on location.
Do you provide risk assessments for activities?
We sure do – we have a safety and risk assessment handbook which will be sent to you upon booking.
How long does it take to get to Moreton Island?
The ferry trip from the Port of Brisbane to Moreton Island is approximately 75 minutes. The ferry we take is a large multi-level vessel which is highly stable (so no small ferries for us!). There is a café on board with a real, yes REAL coffee machine for teachers to get their fix!
Will we be shuttled around the island?
No! We provide enough vehicles for everyone to have a seat. This means that we pack so much more into our tours and make sure that students are out on the island for the optimum amount of time.
What do we need to bring?
Students will need to bring:
- Swimmers/bathers & towel
- Change for ferry or a snack
- Change of clothes for return / warm clothes in cooler weather
PAYMENTS, CANCELLATIONS & T&C’S
– please note that a quote does not automatically reserve your preferred dates, and is only valid for 14 days from issue date. Should we not receive confirmation of quote by the end of the 14-day validity period; a new quote may need to be issued.
DATE SECURITY DEPOSIT
– once you have confirmed your quote, we will issue you with a tax invoice and confirmation documents. Unless otherwise stated, all bookings must be secured with a 30% or $1000 deposit payment (whichever is greater), within 14 days after confirmation. Failure to provide the date security deposit by the due datewill result in the forfeit of the camp dates requested. Please note that this deposit amount will be deducted from the total invoice.
- Payments can be made via direct deposit, cheque or credit card. Please note that all credit card payments will incur a 1.5% surcharge fee.
– a final balance invoice will be issued 14 days prior to camp upon receipt of final numbers. If final numbers are not advised by this date, the last number update will be used.
– a new tax invoice will be issued for any additional payments incurred after the above final payment has been made. Any new additional payments will be due immediately, unless otherwise stated. Any credit amounts / refunds payable will be issued after the camp travel dates, unless the camp is cancelled prior to travel dates.
CHANGES AND REQUESTS – unless otherwise stated:
- All details pertaining to final numbers, dietary requirements, special requests and medical information must be received no later than 14 days prior to travel.
- Any decrease in numbers 14 days or less prior to the confirmed date of travel will not be eligible for a refund or a credit. (This is due to certain costs outlaid.)
- Any increase in numbers inside 14 days prior to the confirmed date of travel will be accepted and charged additionally. (Subject to space availability.)
CAMP CANCELLATIONS – unless otherwise stated:
- If advised at least three (3) months prior to the confirmed date of travel, the paid deposit amount may be kept as a credit for use for a future camp booking.
- If advised at least two (2) months prior to the confirmed date of travel, the paid deposit amount will be forfeited in-full.
- Cancellation notice provided 14 days to one (1) month prior to the confirmed date of travel will result in the forfeit of the paid deposit amount in-full, and will also incur a 25% administration fee.
- Any camp cancellations received 14 days or less prior to the confirmed date of travel will not be eligible for a refund or credit.
- Any cancellations made up to one (1) month prior to the confirmed date of travel where no final payment has been made, will incur a 40% administration fee as well as forfeit the deposit amount paid.
- Vehicle bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of vehicle carriage on MICAT as stated on the www.moretonislandadventures.com.au website.
- Any vehicle permits purchased cannot be refunded or credited.
- All credit amounts have a validity of 12 months, after which time if the credit amount has not been redeemed it will be forfeited.
- All administration fees will be calculated on the total camp amount due.
Note: Trailblazer Tours reserves the right to send home any student who is deemed to be behaving inappropriately. No refunds are applicable in this instance.
ACTIVITY AND OTHER IMPORTANT T&C’s
- Trailblazer Tours reserves the right to cancel, delay and / or reschedule activities or services due to unsuitable weather. (Please note that the entire camp itinerary is dependent on activities chosen, tide times and the size of the group.)
- Swimming, Guided Snorkelling, Kayaking and Sand Boarding, is provided by Trailblazer Tours & Sunset Safaris. A requirement of our insurance company is that all students /parents have completed their indemnity form before being allowed to snorkel, swim kayak or sand board. These forms must be handed to the Tour Guide at the start of the camp.
- All schools are responsible for completing the provided medical and special dietary forms on behalf of their students. This must be faxed or emailed to our office at least 14 days prior to travel.
- School representatives are at all times responsible for the behaviour of students in their care.
- It is the responsibility of the school representative to dispense any medication to students with the permission of parents / guardians. Trailblazer Tours will under no circumstances dispense or administer any medication.
- A duty of care is owed to students in the school environment and while on excursions. The Education Department's duty of care owed to students for the duration of an excursion cannot be delegated from the school to parents, caregivers, volunteers or employees of external organisations.
- To ensure the health and safety of students and staff, schools are required to proactively manage all aspects of a variation to school routine. The school's duty of care to students extends to school excursions and camps, which are integral to students' educational programs. Activities conducted away from schools may increase risks and therefore the standard of care required must reflect the increase in identified risks.
- Moreton Island Ferries Pty Ltd (trading as Moreton Island Adventures) reserves the right to cancel and refund monies at any stage if services become unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances inclusive of part or whole sale of the business entity, closure of the accommodation facility or high impact weather events.
A note on QPWS (National Park) Fee Changes in 2015
For educational groups travelling on a fully facilitated camp with Trailblazer Toursor sub-contractors there is no longer a need to complete forms for exemption of national park usage fees. Schools & educational groups will now be automatically exempt from these fees. Where the aforementioned group is taking a vehicle, they will be eligible for fee exempt vehicle permits and should contact camping support (email@example.com) to obtain their relevant permits. This is the responsibility of the group taking the vehicle.